Facebook Button


Working in Germany during your studies

Students from European countries as well as from Non-European countries are allowed to work:

  • 90 complete days a year (more than 4 hours per day) or
  • 180 half days (less than 4 hours per day) a year

Additionally, foreign students are allowed to work as student assistants at universities or corresponding organisations (e.g. as tutors in student residencies of the student union of Cologne). You can receive more information from Deutsches Studentenwerk (German student union), at the foreigners' registration office (Ausländerbehörde) and at social counselling of the student union of Cologne.


Work after graduation

After their graduation, foreigners can stay in Germany for up to one year in order to find a job. You can get the required extended residence permit at the foreigners' registration office. If you have found a job, the labour migration department of the foreigners' registration office (Arbeitsmigration des Ausländeramtes) and the employment office (Agentur für Arbeit) will decide if you get a further residence permit. This application must be filed in time. The processing takes about six weeks.

Last Updated on Monday, 27 August 2018 13:06