Flag Germany

Detailed information for students from outside the European Union:


If you are a student from a country outside the European Union you will need a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) for non-EU citizens in addition to registering your new place of residence. The city of Cologne offers you to do the two things at the same time. Please make an appointment at the alien's department (Ausländerstelle) at townhall Lindenthal, Aachener Strasse 220, calling 0221-221 93450.

In order to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis), you will need the following documents:

  • valid passport (including copies of all the printed pages)
  • current passport photo
  • proof that you are able to pay your living expenses independent from state funding
  • proof of health insurance coverage (Krankenversicherungsschutz)
  • certificate of matriculation or (written) confirmation of language course
  • if you want to extend your residence permit due to your studies, please enclose a current summary of your course of studies (Studienverlaufsbescheinigung) by the university
  • copy of your rental contract

For further information on the services offered by the city administration and official opening hours please consult www.stadt-koeln.de (keyword: “Buergerservice”).

You can reach townhall Lindenthal by bus (number 137) and city railway (number 1, 7, 13) – station Aachener Strasse / Gürtel.


Zuletzt aktualisiert am 24.08.2010